Conditions of participation
1. Participation in The Art Circle Award implies full acceptance of the below rules, without exception and participants should strictly comply with them at all times.
2. Respect of the theme: “Imagine the world in 2050”
3. The pictorial technique is at the discretion of the participant. No trademark may be alluded to and, in no way, the content of the work be offensive, in the broadest sense of the term.
The Art Circle reserves the right not to admit candidacies that, according to its criteria, do not comply with the technical, artistic and/or legal conditions required by the contest, or that may hurt the sensitivity of people, incite violence, discrimination or be contrary to social uses.
4. Each artist may submit only one work. This work should not have received an award in any other contest. This will be proven by means of an affidavit (at the end of the registration form).
5. The title of the artwork, the name and surname of the artist will be clearly written on the back.
The work shall be delivered signed only on the back. Artworks with the artist’s name or signature at the front of the painting will not be accepted.
6. The painting must be completed and ready at the time of submitting the application.
7. Dimensions: a minimum 40 x 40cm, and a maximum 100 x 120cm in either portrait or landscape format.
8. Works made with digital techniques will not be accepted. In case of mixed techniques, the media used should be specified.
9. The artworks must be framed in a simple, plain, wooden, American style frame (as per the picture below). Seen from the front, the frame width should not exceed 3 cm. No glass or Plexiglas protected works will be accepted.
Modalities of participation
1. The winner s of the TAC Award 2021 & 2022 cannot participate in the 2023 edition.
2. The participant is entitled to submit only one artwork.
3. The deadline for participating in The Art Circle Award is September 25th 2023. TAC reserves the right to change this deadline if it deems it appropriate.
4. The participant can only apply for himself/herself and must complete the registration here accompanied by the following documents:
a- UAE ID in PDF format.
b- Bio of the artist in PDF format.
c- One (1) photograph of the work submitted in high resolution JPG format.
d- Title of the work presented (optional).
e- Actual measurements of the work presented (height x width).
f- Brief description of the work, maximum 1,200 characters (spaces included).
g- File with works of the past few years in PDF format (optional).
Selection of the shortlisted artworks:
1. A jury of art experts, comprised of directors of UAE art institutions (universities, foundations, and museums), collectors and curators, will select the shortlisted artworks by September 29th.
2. This list will be made public on the website and each artist will be notified personally.
3. TAC will contact the shortlisted artists and will ask them to provide the original works by October 6th.
4. It is the responsibility of each artist to properly wrap their painting and bring it to the designated addresses (in Abu Dhabi or in Dubai).
5. The selection of the artworks remains at the discretion of the jury based on criteria in relation with the language of Contemporary Art.
6. IMPORTANT: The shortlisted artists are required to attend in person the opening of the exhibition scheduled on November 2nd 2023. If the artist of the work selected by the jury is not present at the opening, he/she will not be granted the award.
Selection of the winning artwork:
1. Proposals received will be reviewed by the jury.
2. Out of the shortlisted proposals, a single artwork will be chosen as the winner of The Art Circle Award.
3. The winning proposal will be awarded AED 15,000.
4. The jury's decision is final.
5. The winning artwork will be unveiled at the opening of the exhibition on November 2nd 2023.
Acquisition of ownership of the work awarded by TAC:
1. The winning artwork of The Art Circle Award will become the property of TAC on the date the jury's decision is made public.
The acquisition of exclusive ownership of the winning artwork also includes the rights to The Art Circle to use the winning artwork for any marketing purposes, with credit to the artist.
2. As the owner of the award-winning artwork, TAC reserves the right to reproduce it in limited edition prints, using the most appropriate and highest quality techniques. In the case of opting for such reproduction, the author undertakes to sign each copy.
3. The reproduced version, numbered and signed by the artist, will be offered to collectors, directors of institutions, curators or else, during the visits organized by The Art Circle.
4. Any other exploitation, distribution, exhibition, disclosure, reproduction, transformation, public communication, etc., will have to be approved by the artist in writing, and, in general, any legally transferable rights, in their broadest sense and with the maximum legally possible scope, which may be exercised by TAC in the manner it considers convenient and without any temporal or territorial limitation.
Exhibition of the Third Art Circle Award:
1. TAC will organize an exhibition of the shortlisted artworks that will take place at 421 in Abu Dhabi between November 2nd and 8th, 2023.
2. To this end, the authors of the shortlisted artworks will transfer them in deposit in favor of TAC, free of charge, and during a period of 2 months from the date the jury made his decision public.
Except for the winning artwork, the ownership, in accordance with these rules, is not subject to transmission to TAC.
This assignment also includes the rights of reproduction, exhibition, dissemination and public communication in its broadest sense, during the indicated period.
3. The shortlisted artists authorize TAC to use the images of their artworks.
The assignment of the right to use these images of the works will be made for a period of 2 months from the date the jury's decision is made public, will be free of charge and will also include the rights of reproduction, exhibition, dissemination and public communication in its broadest sense.
Return of the Non-Awarded Works:
1. The non-awarded artworks must be collected by the artists at the end of the exhibition.
2. The artist takes responsibility for repacking the item and ensuring its transportation. Original packaging will be kept.
3. While the utmost care will be given to the artworks received, TAC is not liable for any damage that might occur.